The Science of Sound

Photo Credit: prozla Flickr via Compfight cc

Here’s a question for you all to start things off: Does sound affect us? The answer may shock you. And that answer is: YES! Sound effects us every day, whether we realize it or not. Hmm? I can’t actually tell, but I have a feeling that many of you don’t believe me. Well then, I have another question for you all: Have you ever heard any type of alarm? I’m sure you have and found it quite annoying. Some people deal with this by covering their ears, which is actually a way sounds affect us.

I can tell some of you still aren’t convinced. Fine then. I’ll share something about us when we hear any sudden, loud sound like an alarm. Once we hear that alarm, our bodies react by producing a hormone, increasing our heart rate, and even our breathing pattern gets disrupted. In addition to that example, let’s think of a more, pleasant sound. . . . Since I’m not a mind reader, I’ll just share what I thought of. Let’s imagine hearing ocean waves. Did you know that majority of people find it soothing? I’m sure you did. Well, that wave sound has roughly the same frequency of us when we sleep. Coincidence? I think not!

Photo Credit: Ian-S Flickr via Compfight cc

Still, don’t believe me? Not sure what else to say. Just kidding. But seriously though. If this doesn’t convince you, I don’t know if I can do it. Okay, so you know when birds sing right? Over the years, we have learned that they only sing when they think it’s perfectly safe. With that, we start subconsciously relaxing, our bodies knowing that we’re safe. I’m serious, try it. Go listen to a bird singing for a few minutes. Sigh. Final resort time. Just think of songs that make you happy, sad or any kind of emotion whatsoever. There. Sounds have just affected your emotional state. Since I’m sure I didn’t do the best job explaining, I’ll leave y’all some links to people who can share this with you much better than I could. Here: Julian treasure, Healthy Living, Prezi

Okay then, I hope you all liked this post! With that, I’ll see you all later, and I hope I see some comments about your thoughts!

One thought on “The Science of Sound

1. G’day Justin,
    A great post on sounds and their effect on us in our daily lives. I love the soothing sound of the ocean and when I go travelling that is one thing I miss. I only live about 500 metres or yards from a beautiful beach.